Asheville Dentists often get the question “I Brush & Floss, so why do I still get cavities?
At Asheville Dental Care we strive to provide the answer to this question.
Assuming you have the best plaque removal skills
- You Brush for 4-minute at least twice a daily.
- Floss Daily.
- Use an Interproximal Brush where it will fit.
- Replace your toothbrush, or electric toothbrush head every three months.
“It is very discouraging & frustrating to hear that you have another cavity,” says Dr. Peter Pang of Asheville Dental Care.
The Bacteria that Causes Cavities & Gum Disease seems to thrive in acidic environments.
Here are some home remedies that help reduce acidic environments
Baking Soda is readily available and inexpensive.
Used daily can reduce acidic saliva so that harmful plaque can’t survive.
Baking Soda toothpaste It is also the least abrasive toothpaste.
MI paste has been found to help strengthen your teeth. Used daily before bedtime following brushing & flossing.
Order MI Paste online or from our office.
Order MI online: www.dentistsrecommend.com GC Manufacturer (on the left side)→ Choose your preferred flavor with or without fluoride.
Xylitol is a natural sugar.
Available at the grocery store as Xyla.
- Use Xylitol in your coffee or tea.
- Replace the sugar in recipes for Xylitol.
Several sugarless chewing gums, such as Ice Cubes use Xylitol.
The harmful plaque can not metabolize Xylitol and will not survive in your mouth to cause cavities. i.e.—Xylamints, Dr. John’s Xylitol candies. (6gm/day).
Dry mouth or Xerostomia
Dry mouth or Xerostomia can reduce the natural cleansing and pH buffering benefits of saliva. Making your teeth more prone to cavities.
Biotene, Xylamints, and Dr. John Xyla-Candies are products which can be purchased and have been shown to help increase moisture. Ask your M.D. if Pilocarpine or Cevimeline may be prescribed for
Ask your M.D. if Pilocarpine or Cevimeline may be prescribed for severe dry mouth? Or, Acupuncture?
- Talk to us about Oral Probiotics (different from GI Probiotics)
- Fish Oil from a small fish source. Mackerel or Flax Seed Oil are both good to reduce inflammation.
- Evaluate your diet and reduce processed and sugary foods.
- Avoid foods with high levels of Acid – for more information read Acid Foods to Avoid.
- Increase daily intake of fresh fruits and vegetables.
At Asheville Dental Care we have tests to help determine if you are at a higher risk for tooth decay or cavities.
Ask us if you are interested in making a risk assessment.
Leave a Reply